The United Kingdom, land of diverse culture and tradition, high technology and scientific innovations, marvellous architecture and peaceful environment is one of the most preferred destinations for students wanting to study abroad. Studying from a place which holds the tag of having the best universities in the world, is not an opportunity everyone wants to lose.The high-tech quality education of the UK has attracted millions of international students on its land and its percentage is increasing every year.
MBBS is one of the preferred study courses by international students. And we can assume this from the fact that Acc. to QS Ranking 2020, 45 Universities in the UK are in the list of top 600 Medical Universities in the world. The lucrative pay, and high demand for increasing medical and health occupations has increased the number of candidates seeking to study medicine in the UK.
ELIGIBILITY FOR STUDYING MBBS IN THE UK:
- The Aspirant must be at least 18 years old and must have scored at least 80% in 10+2 (Good scores are required in Biology and Chemistry).
- On the part of international students seeking admission in any universities of the UK at Undergraduate level, it is mandatory for candidates to give the IELTS test. Candidate’s IELTS score should not be less than 6.5 in all 4 categories: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
- The minimum number in tests required for studying in the UK are:
- UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT): 650
- Biomedical Admission Test (BMAT): 4.5 to 5
- GAMSAT: 60-66
- NEET: 50 percentile
To study MBBS program in the UK, Indian students are required to score 50% percentile in NEET for taking admissions in top medical universities.
CAREER IN MEDICINE:
Career in Medicine gives you satisfaction, respect, and handsome pay with the chance of saving precious lives. MBBS from the UK is a 5 to 6 year program in the form of Bachelor in Medicine (MB) in BS, BCh, ChB and BAO. All these 4 categories are equivalent to each other and manage the three main genres of medical study: Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics. In order to practice as a doctor, students are required to register themselves at the General Medical Council of UK after completing their MBBS.
There are ample areas in Medical Study in which you can specialise. Here are some of the major preferred genre by students to excel in:
- General Practice
TOP UNIVERSITIES FOR STUDYING MEDICINE IN UK:
Innovative and high quality education from the best universities of the United Kingdom has created its benchmark globally. Here are given below top universities of the UK to seek for MBBS.
- University of Oxford: It scored rank 2nd in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 6 years BM BCh program.
- University of Cambridge: It scored rank 3rd in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 6 years MB BChir program.
- University College London: It scored rank 9th in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 6 years MBBS/BSC Medicine program.
- Imperial College London: It scored rank 12th in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 6 years MBBS/BSC Medicine program.
- King’s College London: It scored rank 20th in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 6 years MBBS Medicine program.
- University of Edinburgh: It scored rank 22nd in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 5 years MBChB Medicine program.
- University of Manchester: It scored rank 35th in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 5 years MBChB program.
- University of Glasgow: It scored rank 48th in QS Ranking 2020 and offers a 5 years MBChB program.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR INDIAN STUDENTS IN UK:
Indian students are required to complete their 10+2 with high scores in Chemistry and Biology and minimum 50% percentile in NEET. Here is described below the process of applying for an MBBS program in the UK.
- The first step is to get verification on all your documents by the respective authorities.
- You can apply for the program by UCAS portal or it can be done through the university’s website also.
- After submitting your application, wait for the reply of confirmation and invitation from the respective university’s authorities.
- Contact the British Embassy after receiving your invitation letter for immigration process.
IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS FOR ADMISSION IN UK:
Studying abroad gives you responsibility for collecting important documents so the admission procedure can go smoothly. Here is given below some of the important documents that you must have:
- Verified Marksheet of 10+2 along with the copies.
- Any diploma certificate
- Reference letter from your Professor on your recent academics.
- Work experience letter from your superiors.
- Your updated resume.
- Photocopy of IELTS/GAMSAT/BMAT/UKCAT scores.
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of funds
After confirming the Medicine course, you need to apply for a UK Student Visa. Documents needed for applying Visa: Original Passport and its photocopy and your recent photograph.
COST OF STUDYING MBBS IN UK:
Due to the nature of the program and other necessities during the course, the cost of studying for the MBBS program can be pricey. University of Glasgow and University of Cambridge have the highest tuition fees. Arrival cost, tuition fees, and living cost makes altogether a huge amount to be paid. So there are Universities which offer scholarships to international students. Excellent academic records or achievement can help in wavering the cost of course. Here are some of the scholarships that are provided to International students:
- Chevening Scholarship
- Global Health Future Leaders Scholarship
- Hulk York Medical School International Scholarship
- Imperial College Faculty of Medicine Scholarship
- Rhodes Scholarship
After completing their MBBS, students can further pursue MD/MS in the area of their interest. MBBS from the UK is an excellent career option for students from abroad. MBBS in the UK can be completed in 5 to 6 years while in the USA it takes about 7 to 9 years. And MBBS graduates from universities of UK are not required to appear for Foriegn Medical Graduate Examination for practicing in India. Though it is pricey, yet it can open ample options for you to grow as a successful doctor.